Tyre size

Adam.p

Morning guys and girls. I have a 1999 xj 4.0 and it needs a new set of tyres. Have always gone with the original Pirelli 225/60/16’s but these are no longer made. What tyres are people running with these unavailable? I like to keep the car as original as possible being an immaculate low miles example. Suggestions welcome, thank you 

Hi Adam, suggest you go to the Kwik Fit website and type in your registration number. You don't need to purchase the tyres from Kwik Fit, although they are usually quite competitive. The website will give you a list of the tyres that would be suitable for your car but you do need to confirm the sizes.

Once you have a target tyre in mind, you can then do the usual searching for the best price, but beware the "internet sellers" as there is good reason why these sites can sell premium tyres at apparently low prices - not all tyres are created equally and the "out of manufacturer specification" tyres, even premium brand tyres, are dumped with the internet sellers.

Such out of specification may be as simple as to be out of balance with normal weights applied, but adding a couple of hundred grams of tyre weight counterbalance is not recommended.

N6 JMX

Give these people a try Adam :

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/

Remember that with tyres, brake pads and other things designed to wear as part of their function in life, you can't keep it original for long, even if fitting the OEM parts. As such, go with the correct size and a brand you are comfortable with. Also look at the reviews for the tyre you're considering, with particular attention to those from your area or the area in which you mostly drive. Road surfaces can (and do!) vary across the country and what gets brilliant reviews in one are won't fair so well in another. For example, Pirelli around the west midlands are gets poor reviews but around the eastern counties gets good reviews. Having driven in those areas in the same car with the same tyres, i can say the reviews are justified but are in fact down to the roads being different.

I recently fitted a set of Maxxis Primetra tyres on my S Type as they were (on paper at least) the closest i could find to Pirelli P6000 tyres, the OE fitment on mine. I have to say i'm not disappointed! Very good tyres with excellent grip and quiet too. The (very) old P6000s that were on the front of mine nearly caused an incident with a telegraph pole because they had gone hard with age and lost much of their grip.

As a point of interest, they were bought online and none needed any balance weights at all when fitted.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 7 replies
    • Post in Event Ludlow Racecourse Shropshire 16th June 2024
      Not long now to Ludlow. It sold out before the event last year it is very popular.

To book a ticket in advance go to EVENTBRITE or Message me. 

• JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 6 replies

Forums

News

Membership

• Insurance
  • Support